sunnuntai 2. elokuuta 2009

Sunday 2 August


This morning I went for a walk aiming for the two very small islands joined to the main one by bridges, (and seemingly less visited by tourists) and took these photographs. The last island was mainly residential.

I found a beautiful garden being tended by an elderly couple, then a small section of lush damp grass, leading to rocks facing the sea. In a nearby tree was a huge bird box which set me wondering what kind of bird nested there ?

On the way back I see a guide book in the Visitor Centre titled The Guns of Suomenlinna


Playground boat


A grass roof


Being a fortress island there are many guns
pointing out to see


These bird spotters said the bird box was
probably for a large owl


What beast of a bird lives in a bird box
this big? (its huge)


Last night I walked past the Open Prison on the island.

As part of my research before coming here I came upon this about Johan Hampus Furultjelm, Governor of Helenski. Whilst governor of Alaska he once used the trick of an eclipse of the moon. He threatened the Indians with taking away the moon if they did not obey him.

I spent yesterday working on some writing - possibly to perform at the forthcoming Nunhead Festival in September. I am particularly pleased with a short poem titled Flying Ants, and What Would You Take? (If There Was a Fire In Your House) but another piece Unbeknownst is not yet right.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti