tiistai 4. elokuuta 2009

Tuesday 4 August


The organ of the Helsinki Lutheran Cathedral


Window display



The Pulpit of The Old Church


The Church In The Rock - built in 1969 the church was blasted from a huge chunk of granite to create a structure with a saucer-like roof only just visible from the surrounding streets


Entrance to Natural history Museum


Dachshund shaped boot scrapers on the step of one of the houses on the island


The name written on the studio door is Elias,
I like that, Elias Lehan ?


Yesterday on the ferry to Helsinki - I was meeting Davina later as she was arriving from the airport - I remembered a recent conversation with a friend who said that they did not, after all regard themselves to be an artist, despite making work for a series of art events.


So what does this mean ?


Is the work art, despite, apparently, being made by a NON artist?


Is it NOT art, because the person who made it, does consider themselves to be an artist ?


If the work was made during a time in which they did consider themselves to be an artist, is the work to be viewed differently now in a period when they do not ?


If it is NOT art, what is it ?


Can other people say / claim it is art - despite what the NOT artist says ?


Before meeting Davina, I walked to the Natural History Museum - hence the photograph of the Elk / Moose? - intending to visit it, but it was closed, so I decided instead to visit some of the churches, taking photos along the way.


The contrast between the architectural simplicity of the Finnish churches, and the ornateness of the Uspenski Cathedral (a Russian Orthodox church) was uppermost in my mind when viewing these churches. My favourite church was the Old Church, which was a totally white interior, apart from the use of gold highlighting details around the pulpit, and the colours in the altar painting, which, unusually was of Jesus blessing children.


So ...


Simplicity V Ornateness - which is it ?


Roundhead V Cavalier - what would I have been ?


At the moment, I prefer simplicity - hence yesterdays slogan. I imagine owning few possessions starting with clothes: 1 pair of shoes, two pairs of trousers, two shirts, etc.


And those books I have back home, do I really need all those, will I ever READ all of these ?


Returning to the studio in the evening there was an email inviting Davina, and I to a sauna! - women this week, men next week.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti